INSTAGRAM MARKETING STRATEGY
Instagram Marketing Strategy
What is Instagram?
Instagram is a mobile app for photo and video sharing. It connects with major social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and Flickr in order to allow users to disseminate content. It launched in October 2010 and was acquired by Facebook for $1 billion in April 2012. Instagram images are always square format, and often have a vintage feel through the use of its range of special effect filters.
Who uses Instagram?
Currently, Instagram has over 200 million monthly active users, and 13% of all internet users are on Instagram. Key facts for Marketers are that 88% of users are under 35, and 68% are female.
Why do people use Instagram?
Yes, Instagram is a haven for the narcissist, with over 48 million uploads tagged #selfie. But for the Marketer, there is also the chance to connect with people who have a passion for what you offer. Instagrammers regularly search hashtags for things they are interested in, from animals to designers to hobbies, places and food. Indigo Multimedia has been working with a number of clients to identify ‘passion tags’ that relate to their business and gain exposure to potential customers by being in their chosen space.
Ideas to get your Instagram Marketing Strategy started
Instagrammers use hashtags to promote their photos to others with similar interests. There is no limit to the number of hashtags you can add to a photo or video so when you’re starting out, identify words that you associate with your brand or product and use them liberally e.g.
- #fashion #style #stylish #love #cute #nails #hair #beauty #beautiful #pretty #swag #pink # girls #eyes #design
- Additionally, there are lots of generic tags that people use to gain more views, likes and followers such as #instagood #photooftheday #tagsforlikes
Join the biggest conversations e.g.
- #flashbackfriday gets several million uploads every Friday and is simply an image of the past – add a caption to explain why the photo is memorable. After an Indigo Multimedia training workshop, balletLORENT started participating in this by posting beautiful and evocative images of its dance productions from the previous 20 years as part of its 20th anniversary celebrations. #throwbackthursday is also popular and works on the same principle.
- #instadaily – the user @instadaily came up with the idea of daily competitions to take pictures of the same subjects so that users could make connections and gain followers
- #allshots_ tagged images may be chosen by the massively popular @all_shots user to #regram (a little like a retweet on twitter)
Brands are starting to use Instagram as a discreet Marketing channel for a particular type of customer. Topshop creates unique content with secret offers, deals and discount codes. Indigo Multimedia Digital Strategist, Caroline Greener, helped University of Sunderland Students’ Union to build its Instagram following with a #selfie competition for #freshers
Invite your fans to contribute and evangelize for your brand. Time Magazine invited New York Instagrammers to upload images tagged #TIMEwireless and published the best in the magazine. Starbucks rewards Instagrammers who take pictures of their autumn flavour coffees and tag #itsfallwhen – perfect for people who adore pumpkin spice latte! Indigo Multimedia is currently working with top-50 online interiors retailer RE Found Objects to capitalize on the love and loyalty people already have for its brand in order to spread the word about its unique products.
Combine offline and online. Following a Social Media Workshop by Indigo Multimedia, Seven Stories, the National Centre for Children’s Books set up a photo station in the hugely popular Gruffalo exhibition with a sign asking that people upload photos to Instagram and Twitter tagged #byebyegruffalo. They were astonished with the response and were able to connect with many new fans through the hashtag.
For any Marketer working towards a Multichannel Marketing Strategy, Instagram offers a range of potential comms benefits. Hopefully these short tips will provide inspiration to get started.
For more detailed information or to access dedicated Digital Marketing consultancy services, call Caroline Greener at Indigo Multimedia on 0191 209 2100. We are happy to offer free initial consultation, and have a range of affordable Social Media Training or Consultancy services.